Snow began falling about 2 p.m. in Woonsocket, light and wispy, in strong flurries that weren't accumulating anywhere but windshields.
Nonetheless, Wednesday classes were canceled by the afternoon, as was the evening's scheduled City Council meeting, and a parking ban was announced for 5 p.m.
Voting for four precincts for the Dist. 49 special election primary, however, were still on.
Around the city, people were busy gassing up cars and stopping in for last minute supplies as a snowstorm predicted to leave as much as a foot of snow in the area started up.
At Autozone in Park Square, Terry Dion of Massachusetts was passing through to grab spark plugs ahead of the storm. Nearby, Bruce Bosko exited the store with windshield wiper blade refills in hand.
Bosko, who owns property in Woonsocket and Burrillville, wasn't concerned. "I'm pretty well prepared for this storm," he said.
Cancelations have begun coming in as the snow starts to fall:
- Mount St. Charles closed Wednesday
- Woonsocket Head Start and Day Care - canceled Wednesday
- Woonsocket Public School is canceled Wednesday
- Tonight's City Council meeting has been canceled
- RIRAL Adult GED - ESL: Night classes CANCELED.
- RobRoy Acad-Woonsocket: No PM Classes
- Discovery House-Woonsocket: Bring in lock boxes Tuesday 1/21; Closed Wednesday 1/22
- Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs-Woon.: No CCD Classes; due to boiler issues, no heat
- St Agatha - Woonsocket: No CCD Classes; Cancel Activities
- Viola M. Berard School: Closed Wednesday
- St Joseph - Woonsocket: No Bingo
1:13 p.m.: There's a parking ban starting in Woonsocket at 5 p.m. today in advance of a snowstorm this afternoon, and after-school activities have been canceled for the day.
Snow forecasts predicting 5-10 inches, with snowfall to start this afternoon, have been bumped up to a foot for much of the state:
Snow Projections Bumped Up Again
There's a winter storm watch in effect for the state, with 5-10 inches expected to start falling early this afternoon.
Stay posted to Woonsocket Patch's Storm Center updates for the latest news on the weather and cancelations:
Keep an eye on updated weather conditions with the Woonsocket Patch Weather Page.
For instant updates on weather and storm news (and more!), follow Woonsocket Patch on Facebook and Twitter.
See a tree down in your neighborhood? Notice a road is icy? Just saw a store clerk put out more snow melt products? Please use this story on Woonsocket Patch to help out your neighbors.
As we prepare for the winter storm, we want to make sure that Woonsocket stays connected. For live updates during the storm, be sure to download our App for your smartphone or tablet and 'like' Woonsocket Patch on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Woonsocket Patch is all about connecting neighbors and helping neighbors so we hope you’ll find this information hub helpful during the storm. Stay safe, folks!
IMPORTANT NUMBERS & WEBSITES:
- In an emergency, dial 911
- Police Department: 401-766-1212
- Fire Department: 401-765-2500
- Highway Dept.: 401-767-9286
To report/view power outages:
National Grid Emergency Outage Reporting Phone Number 1-800-465-1212.
Smartphone users can also text STORM to NGRID (64743) for outage alerts.
To check the status of outages in your area, visit National Grid Outage Central for Rhode Island.
Listen to NOAA radio:
Check the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration radio frequency here.