Police Log: Hit And Run Driver Found Drunk At Home — "I'm Not Perfect"

The following arrest information was supplied by the Woonsocket Police Department. An arrest does not indicate a conviction.


Angelo Luiz Perez, 47, of 175 Sixth Ave., apt. 2nd, told police "I'm not perfect," and that he had screwed up when Woonsocket Police caught up to him at home, finding his car bearing heavy front end damage and missing parts they'd found at the scene of a crash at 46 Sixth Ave. Nov. 12 at 2:47 a.m.

Jon Nelson was outside his home in the neighborhood working at about 1:27 a.m. when he heard two loud crashes coming from Olo Street and Sixth Avenue. Nelson ran toward the noise and saw that a small sedan had struck a car at 46 Sixth Avenue. As he was watching, the sedan backed away from the car it had struck, detaching its front end from the the front end of the other car. The sedan left the scene, dragging parts of its front end across the street, leaving car parts in the street.

Officer Timothy Greene responded to the scene, spoke with Nelson and contacted the owner of the car on Sixth Avenue, who said he wanted to press charges.

While Greene was speaking with the owner of the damaged vehicle, another officer located a vehicle at 175 Sixth Ave. matching the description of the sedan, missing its front bumper and drivers side quarter panel. The hood of the vehicle was warm to the touch, indicating it had recently been driven.

Greene spoke with the owner of the vehicle, Perez, whose gait was unsteady and exhibited bloodshot eyes. Greene asked how his car had gotten damaged, and Perez replied, "I f****d up. I'm a loser," emitting an odor of alcohol with the words.

Perez told Greene he had been drinking at the Back Street Bar on Arnold Street and had driven home at about 1 a.m., but when asked how his car had been damaged, he simply repeated his first statement. 

Perez failed a sobriety test, and was read his rights. Greene asked him why he hadn't walked home, and Perez replied that he hadn't walked because he had a car. When asked why he didn't stop after hitting the car on Sixth Avenue, he repeated the first statement again.

Perez was arrested and taken to police headquarters on Clinton Street, where he was givent a breath test at 2:36 a.m., with a result of .168. A second test at 2:38 a.m. yeilded a result of .173.

Perez was charged with driving under the influence, first offense, .15 or greater, and was issued a summons for failing in his duty to stop after a crash.   

The Bloofer Lady November 16, 2012 at 05:25 PM
A little off topic but i was wondering,whatever happened to the $22,000.00 necklace that was missing from the WPD evidence room back in January?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »