Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Chief Lataille: No danger to public safety, EMTs dispatched on engines Saturday through Monday, two rescues back in service.
Fire Chief Gary Lataille wasn't kidding when he told the Woonsocket Budget Commission last week he needed money to keep his department's aging rescue fleet up to date — all the ambulances broke down Saturday. "Everything failed at the worst possible time," Lataille said. Since it was Saturday, parts and repairs for the ambulances couldn't be arranged quickly, so the department called in mutual aid for the city's rescue calls. The city's EMT crews have been sent out on the engine that's dispatched with every rescue call, Lataille said, and the mutual aid from Blackstone, Cumberland, Lincoln and North Smithfield was used for transport to the hospital. "Public safety has never been an issue throughout all of this," Lataille said. At most, …
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
House was fully engulfed by fire when firefighters arrived.
Woonsocket Firefighters were called to Springwater Drive this afternoon at about 2:30 p.m. for a house fire, according to reports. When firefighters arrived at the two-alarm scene, the house was fully engulfed with fire. By 2:45 p.m., the bulk of the fire was knocked down, according to reports. Matthew Gregoire at ProvFireVideos was on-scene and captured a few photos of the Woonsocket Fire Department's response, including this photo showing a ladder truck and about 12 firefighters working to control the fire. Gregoire reported the fire was out by about 2:47 p.m.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
The gunshot officers heard was a suicide victim's self-inflicted wound.
Initial reports that Woonsocket police officers and firefighters were under fire this morning turned out to be false, the Woonsocket Police Department announced. Gunfire the officers heard turned out to be a suicide victim's final act. Officers and firefighters were responding to 38 Memorial Drive because of reports of a suicidal person when a shot rang out just from 10 a.m., according to police department spokeswoman Det. Jamie Paone. But no one actually shot at officers or firefighters, as initial reports indicated, Paone said. The shot was the suicide victims self-inflicted wound, she said.
Saturday, April 6, 2013
A construction worker was transported from the scene with burns to his lower legs.
Renovation work to convert 160 Blackstone St. into five efficency units hit a setback Thursday afternoon when sparks from a grinding unit lit construction materials on fire. The blaze caused mostly exterior damage to the building, with some damage to the roof, and injured one of the construction workers at the scene, said Lt. Scott Popovich, assistant fire marshal at the Woonsocket Fire Marshal's office. "They saw it happen," Popovic said, at about 3:45 p.m. and called the fire department to the scene. Woonsocket Fire Department Engine 3 was first on scene to the two-alarm fire, which firefighters had extinquished within about half an hour. The fire, which has been ruled accidental, came just as work to finish the building for rent was …
Thursday, April 4, 2013
One person suffered burn injuries from the fire, according to reports.
The Woonsocket Fire Department has extinquished a 2-alarm fire at 160 Blackstone St., with a report of one person suffering burn injuries. The WFD received the call for the vacant building at about 4 p.m., and the fire was extinquished about half an hour later. One person suffered burn injuries from the fire, according to reports, and was transported from the scene by an EMS unit. Matthew Gregorie at @ProvFireVideos has tweeted a picture from the scene. Woonsocket Patch will update this report as more information becomes available.
Sunday, March 31, 2013
Miss anything that happened this week? Check out these top headlines from around Rhode Island.
Saturday, March 23 Andrew Maksymowicz was 19 years old when his father, Henry Joseph Maksymowicz, died of cancer. He was 26 a year ago when his mother died, also of cancer. It's an incomprehensible amount of loss for someone so young. Sunday, March 24 Sunil Tripathi, a 22-year old student at Brown University went missing last Saturday, March 16 around 11 am. He was last seen on the East Side of Providence, although the search has expanded to Boston, Connecticut, New York, and Philadelphia. Monday, March 25 Fire District Commission Chair Bill Daly said last week he has no plans to seek a vote from the commissioners on bills now pending before the General Assembly that seek to abolish the EGFD and replace it with a municipal fire …
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Mike Morin says exact cause of blaze is still under investigation.
A young couple's plans to remodel 194 Norman St. are in ruins as the Woonsocket Fire Marshal continues investigating the cause of a fire that began in the basement Feb. 19 at least 30 minutes before firefighters were alerted. The dwelling appears a loss, said Fire Marshal Mike Morin about the fire-wracked home. According to the city's tax assessor's database, the home was valued at $135,400. "It's a real sad situation," Morin said. Morin said the fire definitely began in the basement, and was probably burning for 30-45 minutes before the fire department was notified by a 911 call. Since the home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived at 7:45 p.m., Morin said the fire had to have been burning a while beforehand, likely reaching …
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Home fully engulfed by flame when trucks arrived.
Woonsocket Firefighters responded to 194 Norman St. at about 7:45 p.m. for a house fire, putting the blaze out within about an hour. Woonsocket Patch received these photos from the scene courtesy of Michael Heroux, who reported about 15 firefighters, three trucks and a ambulance responded. He said the house was fully engulfed by flame when fire trucks arrived. Matthew Gregoire of @ProvFireVideos tweeted the trucks were cleared from the scene at about 9 p.m. He tweeted a photo of Tower Ladder 2 extending a bucket with two firefighters putting water on the fire from above at about 8 p.m. We'll update this story as more information becomes available.
Friday, February 1, 2013
Two women, three young boys escape flames, smoke from floor.
Two women and three young boys escaped a fire that came up through the floor of their second story apartment at 198 Front St. Friday at about 5 p.m. Woonsocket Firefighters responded, finding the women and children outside the building, and put out the fire within about an hour, said Deputy Fire Chief Paul Shatraw. He said that as they fought the fire, cold conditions created ice that was a challenge, but the firefighters adapted well. The fire began between the first and second floors, Shatraw said. He said the cause is under investigation. While they fought it and inspected the building for hot spots, Bernon Street was blocked off until abut 6:45 p.m. from Front Street to Greene Street. Ida Gardner, who lived in the second floor …
Friday, January 25, 2013
Wrong turn lands motorist on frozen pond.
Sometimes drivers land in hot water, but a wrong turn on Cass Avenue put one motorist's morning commute on ice. Jetty Cherian, the owner of Cass Ave Food Mart, said he was alerted to a car on the ice at Cass Pond, across the street from his shop by customers at about 8 a.m. "The kids came in and they say, 'Jetty, did you see the car over there?'," Cherian said. Sitting on the ice on Cass Pond was a car. It hadn't broken through the ice, and the driver seemed OK. Cherian watched as police, two fire trucks, an ambulance and a tow truck filled up the parking lot at Cass Park. Woonsocket Police Public Information Officer Jamie Paone said they recieved the call for a car on the ice at Cass Pond at about 7:56 a.m. She said the driver, …