Thursday, December 13, 2012
Two break-ins after fire prompts moving stock into storage; building hasn't had heat in two years.
Movers were busy loading Liberty Market's stock onto a box truck parked in front of the 95 Main St. location Tuesday as Asim Jamil and his parents, Sabrina and Sheikh, supervised. The food probably won't be re-stocked on the market's shelves there again. Asim says they're not planning on returning. Sabrina said the building, known as the Commericial Block, hasn't had heat for the last two years. She said the section they rent for Liberty Market needs new wiring. It doesn't have sprinklers, either. The Jamil family decided to move the market's stock into storage after they lost a deli slicer, a computer and "about one of everything," in the market to two break-ins shortly after a fire within the building's walls last Monday. On Dec. 3, …
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
About 35 people displaced for the day as crews chase fire through building's walls.
The double-layered walls of Liberty Market are perfect if you're hiding from a tornado, but they make putting out a fire extremely difficult. Woonsocket Firefighters know that second part well after spending six hours putting out a fire at the small corner grocery store at 95 Main St. The fire call came in at about 12:45 p.m., said Deputy Fire Chief Paul Russell, and they were just finishing putting it out at about 7 p.m. as firefighters rolled up hoses for two fire engines and prepared to leave the scene as a single police cruiser blocked the east-bound lane of Main Street. On the west bound side of the street, a crowd of about 20 people watched them clean up the scene. About 35 people who live in the apartments in the mixed-use …
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Fire started at about 4:30 a.m., drew entire fire department.
Woonsocket firefighters have put out an early morning two-alarm attic fire at St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church at 74 Harris Ave. that required the efforts of the entire fire department. According to WPRI.com, all of the WFD's 26 firefighters responded to the blaze, which was difficult to put out because of the building's limited access to the attic, where the fire was contained. No one was in the church at the time of the fire WPRI reports. Matthew Gregorie at Matthew Gregoire @ProvFireVideos reported from the scene via Twitter when firefighters were first called to the church at about 4:30 a.m., posting a photo of the fire in progress, then one of a ladder crew fighting the fire from above. An hour later, Gregorie reported fire…
Friday, October 12, 2012
Call came in at about 9:30 a.m. this morning, BCI checking out scene.
Update 3:08 p.m.: The Woonsocket Fire Department was called to a fire with smoke showing at 317 Fairmount Street this morning at about 9:30 a.m., according to the Woonsocket Fire Marshal's office. When firefighters arrived, smoke was coming out of the building. The fire was put out within 20 minutes at about 9:50 a.m. The incident caused heavy damage to the building's first floor. Fire companies were still at the scene at 11:45 a.m. The Providence Canteen fire and rehab unit, which is also on site, has posted a photo from the fire scene. Police Det. Jaime Paone, public information officer for the Woonsocket Police Department, said the Woonsocket Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) has been called to the scene, but she said it was a …
Thursday, October 11, 2012
WFD, Navigant Credit Union reps were at Blackstone River this morning for test run.
The Woonsocket Fire Department's new rescue boat — faster, tougher, notably lacking holes — got rave reviews at the Blackstone River Bikeway boat ramp near Davison Avenue this morning. Navigant Credit Union donated $5,500 to the WFD for the red inflatable craft, which will allow the department to respond to emergencies on the Blackstone River without having to rely on mutual aid. WFD Captain Tim Walsh, a Navigant Credit Union member and childhood friend of Tim Draper, Navigant's VP of Marketing, contacted his friend in April to see if Navigant was interested in helping the fire department replace their old rescue boat. That aged 12-year-old craft was under-powered and prone to punctures whenever it bumped into something, said WFD Private…
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
No injuries reported in three-story home fire.
- POLICE & FIRE
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
The Providence Journal reports a 3 a.m. fire displaced five adults at 307 Cass Ave. Monday morning. Firefighters responded to the address at about 3 a.m. There were no injuries reported, according to WJAR. WoonsocketPatch will update this report as more information becomes available.
Direct TV blimp spotted over Woonsocket
The Direct TV blimp was floating through the skies over Woonsocket Friday afternoon. At about 2 p.m. Friday, the blimp was circling over Woonsocket Fire Headquarters on Cumberland Hill Road. Later on this weekend, during the Patriots game against the Broncos, the blimp was also hovering over Foxboro. Did you see the blimp? Do you have a sudden hankering for sattelite televison?
Monday, October 8, 2012
Spontaneous combustion identified as cause of Oct. 3 blaze.
The Wooonsocket Fire Marshal's office reports the cause of an Oct. 3 fire that heavily damaged an optometrist's office under construction at 385 Mendon Road was oily rags left overnight. The rags, left in a pile in a box in a doorway by a painter who was varnishing doors in the building, caught fire via spontaneous combustion, according to Fire Lt. David Degrane. The call for the fire came in at 12:45 a.m., for a fire with flames showing through the roof of the building. A second alarm was called right away. Degrane said the building, which was undergoing renovations, will need significantly more work now. He said the Fire Marshal's office will make a routine second visit to the site after repairs are made. "I would like to take this …
Sunday, October 7, 2012
Fryolator fire to blame, according to Woonsocket Fire Marshal's Office.
Donut X-press at 17 Front St. is closed while the owner repairs damage done to the kitchen during a fire Sept. 29. Fire Lt. David Degrane at the Woonsocket Fire Marshal's office said the fire occured in the building's fryolators, a deep-frying appliance used to cook french fries and other fried foods, including doughnuts. The fire began underneath the appliance, near the burners, which he said is unusual. From there, the fire spread into the hood over the fryolators, he said. The Woonsocket Fire Department was on the scene within minutes, and the fire was out in 20 minutes. A sign on the front of the building informs customers that the business is closed while repairs are made to the kitchen. "They're replacing all the equipment right …
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Early-morning fire at medical office building damages roof, first and second floors.
Update (7 a.m.): The neighborhood along Morin Street woke up and took stock of the overnight fire at 385 Mendon Road, the intended site of an optometrist's office under renovation by Nationwide Construction. At about 6:45 a.m., Lyn Vartanian was driving by to take a look at what had caused the burning smell she said woke her up. "I thought I smelled smoke this morning," she said. A few moments later, Tim Dubeau, who works for Interior Creations, a subcontractor on the site, showed up with some co-workers, already braced for the scene by the morning news. "I didn't want the day off this way," he said. His crew was scheduled to put in bathroom tile today, but, "That's not going to happen," he said. According to the Woonsocket Deputy Fire …