DEM Warns People Away From Lincoln, Cranston Ponds

Algae blooms in local waters producing dangerous toxins.


The Rhode Island Department of Health (HEALTH) and the Department of Environmental Management (DEM) are advising people to avoid recreational activities in Blackamore Pond in Cranston and Scott Pond in Lincoln. Both bodies of water had total cyanobacteria counts well in excess of safe amounts. This advisory is based on sampling conducted as part of the screening-level monitoring conducted at lakes and ponds to evaluate the extent and presence of blue-green algae blooms in Rhode Island.

According to the World Health Organization, swimmers in water containing cyanobacterial toxins may suffer allergic reactions, such as asthma, eye irritation, rashes, and blisters around the mouth and nose. Animals, birds, and fish can also be poisoned by high levels of toxin-producing cyanobacteria.

According to the DEM, if water containing algal toxins is ingested, health effects could include stomach ache, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea. Young children and pets are more at risk to algal toxins than adults, since they are more likely to drink contaminated water.

Other health effects, which are rarer, include dizziness, headache, fever, liver damage, and nervous system damage. People who have been drinking from, swimming, or fishing in these areas and experience those symptoms should contact their healthcare provider. People observing pets exhibiting adverse health symptoms after contact with water from these ponds should contact their veterinarian.

People and pets that come into contact with the water should rinse their skin with clean water as soon as possible, and wash their clothes. People are cautioned that toxins may persist in the water after the blue-green algae bloom is no longer visible.

The DEM warns that people should avoid all contact with waters in Blackamore and Scott Ponds, including recreational activities such as swimming, boating or fishing. People should not eat fish from these waters.

Pets can also be affected by exposure to algal toxins and should not be allowed to wade or swim in, or drink water from, these ponds.

These blue-green algae species, typically referred to as cyanobacteria, have the potential to form the naturally occurring algal toxins known as Microcystin and Anatoxin. A visible algae scum was not observed on either pond, but blooms were developing at the time of the sampling. It is important that the public avoid contact with these waters.

Warm temperatures and sunshine produce conditions favorable to algae growth. DEM warns that blue-green algae blooms may be evident in other freshwater lakes and ponds in the state. People are advised to avoid contact with waters that exhibit the following conditions: bright green coloration in the water or at the water surface and/or dense floating algal mats that form on the water's surface. The water may look like green paint, thick pea soup, or green cottage cheese.

For more information about harmful algae blooms visit www.health.ri.gov/healthrisks/harmfulalgaeblooms/index.php 

la_mouffette September 14, 2012 at 08:36 PM
"The water may look like green paint, thick pea soup, or green cottage cheese." o_o


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »