Good morning, and happy Presidents' Day, Woonsocket!
Welcome to a 24-hour period filled with time away from work, if you're lucky, and and bevy of sales, automotive and otherwise. Here are a few things to bear in mind during your travels today:
1) Council meeting tonight The city council meets at 6:30 p.m. in Harris Hall at City Hall. Check back later today for a preview of the meeting.
2) Free tax prep Connecting for Children and Families (CCF) is reopening its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site at Woonsocket Public Library, 9 a.m. The VITA program provides free tax preparation for families with income less than $50,000. The tax preparers are trained and certified by IRS to do basic returns.
3) School's out: Winter recess is this week, so watch out on the roads today. There won't be buses to look out for this morning, but kids might be out and about exercising their free time.
4) Trash pickup on normal schedule - The solid waste department is operating business as usual this week, folks. If you don't already know your trash pickup day and schedule, you can check it out here.
5) Presidents' Day: The holiday is officially known as Washington's Birthday, according to timeanddate.com. The birthday of George Washington, the first president of the US, was first celebrated as a holiday in the District of Columbia in 1880. It was made a federal holiday in 1885.