Monday: Hurricane Sandy, Autumnfest Button, Contests, Calendar
Batten down the hatches and stick with Woonsocket Patch for today's things to know:
UPDATE - 9:04 p.m.: This just in - Woonsocket Public Schools will be delayed one hour Tuesday morning.
UPDATE - 5:04 p.m.: Mount St. Charles Academy will be closed Tuesday.
UPDATE - 4:07 p.m.: Monday's trash schedule will be added into the route for Tuesday, said DPW Superintendent of Solid Waste/Engineering Mike Debroisse.
"We are planning for collection of Monday’s route and Tuesday’s route on Tuesday,therefore, keeping on schedule for the remaining part of the week," Debroisse wrote.
Trucks will be starting in the City at 8 a.m. on Tuesday and the department plans an early start on Wednesday at 6 a.m.
Tuesday’s collection for the Monday route and the Tuesday route will be for trash and recycling only.
"Yard waste collection will resume on Wednesday at which time the trucks will be attempting to collect Monday and Tuesday’s yard waste. Residents are requested to refrain from placing carts out to the road until the morning of your collection day. Due to the severity of the wind, this will prevent the carts and contents from becoming possible obstacles to passing vehicles.
UPDATE - 11:48 a.m.: The YWCA of Northern RI is closing today at 1 p.m., no afternoon/evening programs.
UPDATE - 11:32 a.m.: The Senior Center is closed today.
Hurricane Sandy - The storm is expected to blow through the state this morning, with high wind and flood watches in effect throughout Rhode island from Monday morning through the night. For up-to-the minute updates on this story and others, follow Woonsocket Patch on Facebook and Twitter, or sign-up for our e-mail newsletter.
- The city's EMA has opened an emergency shelter at Cumberland High School.
- The River United Methodist Communities, 17 Federal St., will be opening today at 9am as a Crisis Center. This means they'll be a center for people to come to if they lose power or do not want to be alone during the storm. They have not been designated an emergency overflow shelter, therefore, please be clear that if overnight housing is required, then other facilities should be considered.
- Trash and recycling collection for the City of Woonsocket for this week will be one day late. There will be no collection services today due to the storm. Residents that normally have a Monday collection day are asked NOT to place their carts out for collection until Tuesday morning. High winds may push the carts into the streets causing trash to be blown throughout the area. The carts and trash can become obstacles for those vehicles that must pass by.
- Woonsocket Head Start and Day Care is also closed today.
- From Kim Shipala at the Library on Facebook: The Woonsocket Harris Public Library will be closed today due to the storm. The Organizing Genie program scheduled for tonight will be rescheduled.
- Woonsocket Senior Services, which normally open at 7:30 a.m., were not answering the phones by opening time this morning. We'll update this when a definite answer on their status is available.
Autumnfest Button - There's still a $100 Autumnfest prize unclaimed - #1370. Today at 4 p.m., a new winning number will be drawn for the prize, which went unclaimed last week.
Zoning - The Woonsocket Zoning Board will meet Nov. 13 at City Hall, 7 p.m. On their agenda, seven variance requests. Check out the link to see who may be planning what in your neighborhood.
Calendar - If you've got an event you want to share with the many readers of the Woonsocket Patch, you can be your own best advocate - post it yourself to the Woonsocket Patch calendar. Fill in the blanks with your event's information, and you're good to go.
Halloween Contests - Celebrate Halloween by uploading your photos to enter two contests on WoonsocketPatch:
Pumpkin Contest - Got a cool carved pumpkin or decorated gourd you're itching to show off? Upload a photo of it for a shot at a $25 gift card.
Costume Contest - Proud of your getup for Halloween this year? Did you toil long hours with makeup, needle and thread? Upload a photo of your costume for a chance to win $5,000 for our nationwide costume contest.