Kitchen Fire Sends Two to Landmark for Smoke Inhalation
Firefighters had fire under control quickly, containing it to one room.
The Woonsocket Fire Department was called to a third floor apartment at 441 Pond St. for a kitchen fire around 9 p.m. last night.
Assistant Fire Marshal Lt. David Degrange said the fire, which started on a stove top, extended to a nearby wall and then to the ceiling of the unit. A full complement responded to the scene, including three engines, a ladder truck and rescue. Degrange said crews brought a line up the building's back staircase and quickly knocked down the fire, which they were able to contain to the kitchen area. Firefighters opened parts of the ceiling and wall to ensure the fire hadn't spread any further.
Two tenants were taken to Landmark Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Occupants of the unit were unable to remain there for the evening, Degrange said, but they'll be able to return once the fire alarm system, which was damaged in the fire, is repaired. Degrange said the occupants were able to stay with family.