Today: A School Committee Meeting and YWCA Registration
Check out briefs on city events and news in the Feb. 6, 2012 edition of Five Things to Know Today.
The Woonsocket School Committee will hold their regular meeting tonight at the Middle School at Hamlet at 7 p.m. Items on the agenda include a 2012 year to date budget review, a resolution opposing contract continuation and discussion of the bussing contract.
Third payment for trash-
Property owners are reminded that the third payment was due for their trash and recycling collection service by January 30, 2012. Fourth payment is due by April 30, 2012.
Late payments are subject to penalty fees. Current amounts due may be paid in full.
Per Ordinance 11-O-2 (revised and approved 2/11):
-No property serviced by the City for solid waste, recyclables and yard waste collection shall be collected unless assessed Solid Waste fees for the property are current.
-No property serviced by the City for waste collection shall be issued a ‘Bulk Item’ sticker or a ‘White Good’ sticker or a ‘Yard Waste’ sticker unless assessed Solid Waste fees for the property are current.
Should you have questions concerning your account or did not receive your current trash fee invoice call the Solid Waste Division at (401) 767-8880.
The Woonsocket Education Department is announcing kindergarten registration for the 2012-2013 school year.
It will be held on March 3 from 9 a.m. to 2p.m. at the Woonsocket Middle School – Hamlet Building. This registration will be held for the entire district regardless of which school your child will attend in the fall. In order to register your child for kindergarten, your child must turn 5 before September 1, 2012.
Parents must bring the child's birth certificate, proof of residency, immunization records. Any questions, feel free to call Donna Coderre at 767-4767.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) has announced that Wesley De Christofaro of Woonsocket, RI, a sophomore majoring in Electrical & Computer Engineering, was named to the university's Dean's List for academic excellence for the fall 2011 semester.
YWCA Spring Session Registration-
Registration begans on Monday, Feb. 6 for the Spring Session at YWCA Northern Rhode Island. Classes run for six weeks and begin on Tuesday, Feb. 21.
Vacations Camps are available Feb. 21 to 24. Reserve a spot for your child in advance. Doodle Bugs is for 2 ½ to 3 ½ year olds with a "Winter Wonderland" theme. Busy Bee is for 3 to 5 year olds with various themes including "Friendship Thursday" with teamwork activities. Adventure Camp is for 6 to 12 year olds - campers enjoy sports, arts/crafts, cooking, dramatic play, imagination/creativity, games and sledding at Cold Spring Park (weather permitting). Ask about Junior Leadership for youth 13 and over.
Other youth programming includes physical activities, art studio and gymnastics. A sampling:
- Supersonic Superstars is for walking to 3 year olds. It is an active class for child with parent. Lots of fun with an obstacle course, parachute play, songs and sports (hockey, tennis, golf, basketball and soccer). It meets on Mondays from 9-10 a.m.
- Small World is a unique program offering opportunities for socialization, creativity and toilet training. It includes storytime, songs, crafts, playtime and snack. One hour (Thursdays or Fridays from 9-10 a.m.) and two hour (Thursdays or Fridays from 10 a.m.-noon) options are available. It is for 2 ½ to 3 ½ year olds.
- Action Club is for 3 to 5 year olds. It includes action packed gym time followed by a light snack prepared by the children. It meets on Wednesdays from 9-10:30am.- Sports Spectacular is for 4 to 6 year olds. It is a great introduction to sports (soccer, basketball, floor hockey, t-ball, golf, kickball, and running games). It meets on Mondays from 4-5pm.
- Art for Children is for 5 to 10 year olds. It introduces students to basic color theory via fun, hands on, interactive lessons and creativity games. It meets on Fridays from 5-6:30pm.
- Gymnastics Academy is for 3 to 18 year olds and allows gymnasts an opportunity to advance to higher levels. Classes are held throughout the week for beginners, intermediate, advanced and competitive teams. YWCA Gymnastics Competitive Coaches are USA Gymnastics Certified.
Your child is able to grow-up with YWCA. It meets all your child care needs with quality Infant, Toddler, Pre-Preschool, Preschool, Before & After Kindergarten Care, and Before & After School Age Care. The programs are licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Education and the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth and Families. YWCA is accredited by the American Camp Association and a member of the Rhode Island Afterschool Plus Alliance.
Wellness programs for adults include:
- Aerobic Dance offers benefits such as increases in heart health, muscular endurance, mood, energy level and a decrease in shortness of breath. It meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:15-8:15 p.m.
- Belly Dancing is a great core workout offered in a fun, supportive environment. Classes are on Tuesdays. The beginner class starts at 6:30 p.m. The intermediate class starts at 7:30 p.m. Learn some exciting moves - snake arms, figure eights, hip circles, traveling steps and shimmies.
- Inquire about YWCA's Health Programs, Parenting Programs, Volleyball Leagues, Walking Club, Women’s Club, Women's Golf League, and Women's Workout Room.
YWCA Northern Rhode Island provides developmentally appropriate programming with 88 years of excellence. To set up a tour or for details, call 401-769-7450. To register, visit 514 Blackstone Street in Woonsocket. To view the complete brochure online, visit www.ywcanri.org.